Senior Service Designer
FutureGov is looking for an experienced service designer to help us on our mission to design public services fit for the digital age. We believe citizens deserve access to user-centred products and services, delivered by digitally-enabled modern organisations. Our team is dedicated and passionate about public services designed around the people that use them.
This year marks FutureGov’s 10 year anniversary. From modest beginnings, we are now firmly established as a market leading digital and design company for public services in the UK and in many places around the world.
But we don’t want to stop here. The opportunity for digital transformation in public services is huge, as is the potential for FutureGov to play an ever bigger role in shaping the nature of that transformation.
About the role
As a senior service designer at FutureGov you will work as part of multidisciplinary teams through the entire design process; from user research to creating and testing new solutions using prototypes, and delivering services at scale.
Service designers at FutureGov:
- are recognised specialists in user-centred design; experienced at working on all levels of a service, from high-level flows and journeys to the detail of individual parts
- work with different types of content and user-led interactions; across digital and non-digital channels
- focus on making testable products and services, not just artefacts
- understand the technical side of design well enough to have informed discussions with development teams and other stakeholders
You will be comfortable working with senior stakeholders. Always looking to support new ways of working that deliver cheaper and better experiences for users as well as transforming the organisations we work with.
In this role, you will be responsible for:
- ensuring all projects have a human-centred approach to solving problems; influencing and supporting teams to develop the working practices and culture to support this
- planning, coordinating and communicating user research; compiling research into actionable insights; understanding and mapping user journeys
- using research insights and data to design solutions; responding to challenges, often in collaboration with users, frontline staff and other stakeholders
- identifying opportunities to reduce costs while improving service outcomes; re-imagining what future services could look like; applying service-oriented taxonomies to organisation structures, processes, and capabilities (inc. technology components)
- creating prototypes for testing; working quickly from sketches towards prototypes that can be iterated rapidly using feedback
- designing process improvements for systems, working to define new business processes to fit with a service; thinking about the wider impact of organisational change
- helping to define and maintain key measures or metrics for services.
- making sure that project work is delivered on time and budget working with delivery managers and project directors
- supporting the FutureGov design team; providing proactive challenge and support as part of design reviews; sharing specialist knowledge and contributing to company best working practices
Skills and experience
- have a design-related degree, with senior industry experience. Someone who understands and helps others to work from a digital perspective
- have significant experience of working strategically on end to end services, demonstrating improved service outcomes as well as costed savings
- Have significant experience of planning and leading workshops, engaging multidisciplinary teams with a user-centred design process
- have significant experience of making design processes work effectively, influencing working practices and culture to support this
- have significant experience of planning, conducting and communicating user research as part of a design process
- have significant experience of sketching, prototyping, and iterative design
- have significant experience of explaining design decisions and communicating ideas in a way that other people understand
- have experience of coaching others; both through your individual performance and how you influence others in group settings
- be confident in putting forward the case for design to senior stakeholders and service owners. Demonstrating senior client management from sales, and project kick off through to service delivery
- be able to handle constructive criticism of your work, and have significant experience of constructively reviewing other people’s work
- have experience of working at pace in an agile environment; working in technical and complex environments, both with teams and senior stakeholders
Why work at FutureGov?
- The opportunity to achieve impact in the public sector through your work.
- Flexible working.
- Generous parental leave.
- We’re collaborative. We will readily give our time to help your development.
- We’re a great team. We regularly hang out together, whether that’s at team retreats, summer and Christmas parties, or Friday team breakfasts
Working at FutureGov involves travel in the UK as we often work on site for client projects; occasionally staying overnight when needed.
Email Careers Team with a CV and portfolio of work, or if you have any further questions. Deadline for applications is 5th of July 2019